Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Monster sandwiches


You can find the full details on the Little Monster 1st Birthday HERE


My absolute favorite part of the things I made for my son's Little Monster birthday party was the monster sandwiches.

I originally planned on making 3 different kind of monsters, but after I made this guy, I thought "how can they get any cuter than this?"

Here's what you need to make your own monster sandwiches:
  • Bread
  • Olives 
  • Lunch meat
  • Cheese slices
  • Toothpicks
  • A round cookie cutter or a glass and a knife
First, take a cookie cutter and cut the center out of your bread slices. Don't have a round cookie cutter on hand? No problem, do what I did and turn a glass turned upside down and use a knife to cut around the edges.


Next, put your choice of fillings inside (I went with ham and turkey lunch meat) and any other condiments you think your guests would like.



To make the teeth, simply cut jagged edges around half of a  slice of cheese and insert the cheese inside the sandwich on the bottom.




Make the eyes by snapping a toothpick in half, and inserting each half into an olive. Stick the olives in the top of your sandwich.


Ta-dah! Monster sandwich!



How fun would it be to make your child a whole monster-themed lunch for school one day?

If you had the time (and the endurance to cut out multiple monster cheese teeth), you could always make a whole pack of monster sandwiches for a crowd.


Check out my sidebar to see where I link up each week!

19 comments:

  1. My kids would get a kick out of this. I think I will surprise them with it for lunch one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! My daughter always loves a fun lunch!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-sixteen.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! My daughter saw the picture and immediately wanted to do some too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! What a great way to get kids to eat things they may not otherwise like...like olives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! My daughter prefers to have all of her sandwiches cut into circles. I can't wait to see the look on her face the next time when it looks like a little monster. :-) Thanks so much for sharing! I found you on The Weekend Bloggy Reading, and I'm your newest fan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute- it's scary! Ha! I love creative ideas with food. Visiting from Serenity Now.
    :) crafty texas girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. That plate of monster sandwiches is just so cute! I have a few little guys in my life that would really get a kick out of them! So fun stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. No way! Those are awesome. I love them. Have GOT to remember these - my girls would go crazy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are too adorable. the olives look like googly eyes!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too cute! Olives are going on my shopping list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a thought -- I wonder if spaghetti noodles would work instead of toothpicks? That way, no need to worry about little ones accidentally biting/eating the toothpicks. And although my baby is twenty now, I'm going to make these for her and her roommate the next time they come to visit! They're both vegetarians, and I think tomato and avocado instead of lunch meat will look just as scary. I think I will serve them with Blood (tomato) Soup. I know my daughter will say "Oh, Mom." :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a simple, fun idea this is! I've featured your post in my "Halloween Meals" blog post today so that others can drop by and enjoy your creativity too. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/monster-sandwiches/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the idea. Kristti@http://www.specialbirthdaypartyideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your monster sandwiches are brilliant! I can imagine all kids loving these funny monster faces and with no worries that they'd eat them all up. I've added them to my favourites on my party blog post if you'd like to see them growling back at you? ;) ... http://www.stylemyparty.co.uk/blog/kids-halloween-party/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried Patti Lundgren's idea of using pieces of spaghetti instead of toothpicks and they came out great! My son does not like olives, so I used green grapes with a pomegranate seed for the eyeball. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails